Wednesday, September 5, 2007

BEST ATTRACTION . . . S.C. AQUARIUM?

(Originally posted 3/11-2007)

Knowing of the Charleston City Paper's fondness for ironic humor, let's hope the naming of the Aquarium was one of those attempts.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24047

As a licensed city of Charleston tour guide I drive carriages and conduct daytime history walking tours as well as nighttime ghost and prostitution tours. During my six years as a guide I have averaged giving tours to 5000 people a year and I have NEVER had a single person tell me they came to Charleston to "visit the Aquarium".

After all, Myrtle Beach and Atlanta have better aquariums, but lousy food and no charm. Calling the South Carolina Aquarium the "Best Attraction" is like calling Ringo the most important Beatle, Dr. Watson the better detective or Neil Simon the 20th century Shakespeare.

No comments: